19 July 2008

arrhythmias


My heart is dancing inside my chest, waltzing her desire to leave this life. Beating my individual rhythm, she has been always my dependable inner drummer, but now she seems to be questioning her role, or maybe she's just improvising, like a drummer learning a new song. Heartbeats, like breathing, are easy to take for granted, until they take their own path: you turn one way, they turn another.  Suddenly, they become the center of your thoughtful universe, occupying a weighted portion of your unconscious concern. No matter. So much is beyond our control. I will dance with my heart, and do what I can, but once again I am reminded that I am only a temporary visitor to this life. All I can do is watch my remaining sunrises and sunsets, give thanks, and accept What Will Be.

No comments: